Resources for International Students, Staff, and Faculty
Services to assist MSU international students, staff, and faculty, including language/translation assistance
Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS): 517-353-1720 or email@example.com
OISS provides support to Michigan State University’s international students, scholars and families. Support services include:
- Advising on and facilitating compliance with U.S. immigration regulations.
- Conducting orientations and other special programming that help international students and scholars integrate into and adjust to the academic, cultural and social life of MSU.
- Serving as a liaison with U.S. government agencies, foreign embassies, sponsors and educational foundations that support international students and scholars.
- Contributing to the internationalization of MSU by providing opportunities for growth through cross-cultural interactions.
For more information or to learn about all of the various programs that OISS offers, please visit their website.
Community Volunteers for International Programs (CVIP): 517-353-1735 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Volunteers for International Programs (CVIP) is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization supported by the Office for International Students and Scholars at Michigan State University. CVIP promotes mutual cross-cultural education, understanding, appreciation and friendship between the greater Lansing community and Michigan State University's international students, scholars and their families through a variety of programs and services, which are free and open to all MSU international students and scholars. Programs include the Volunteer English Tutoring Program, a Global Festival Gift Shop, Home Visits, the International Friendship Program, the International Spouse Program, and the International Speakers Program. Visit their website to learn more about the various programs that CVIP offers.
Language Services and Resources
The English Language Center: 517-353-0800 or email@example.com
The English Language Center provides instruction to international students who need to improve their English language skills before beginning academic course work. The ELC also serves the international community by providing English language instruction against a backdrop of American life and academia. The ELC has a number of different language and culture programs for students who want to improve their English skills by studying in an English speaking environment. Programs include:
- Intensive English Program: This program helps international students improve their English language abilities through full-time course work within the English Language Center. It provides instruction in English grammar, reading, writing, speaking, and listening, and special content-based courses.
- English for Academic Purposes: The English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses at Michigan State University help international students improve their English language abilities through credit-bearing language courses taught by English Language Center faculty.
- Online Academic English Program: The Online Academic English Program (OAEP) is an online version of the English Language Center English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses. These courses are designed to prepare international students for the language demands of university-level academic work, as well as to socialize them to US academic practices, culture, and expectations.
- International Teaching Assistant Program: The International Teaching Assistant Program helps prepare non-native English speaking international graduate students to function effectively as teaching assistants in their departments. The program facilitates an understanding of the cultural norms of the American educational context as well as the English language skills necessary for effective classroom communication.
- Special Programs: The English Language Center hosts several different special programs for participants sponsored by universities and governments from all over the world. The ELC will design an academic language program and cultural immersion experience based on the group’s requests.
- Online Academic Training: This short online course helps international students make the transition to American academic life.
- Preparation for Academic Life: This program is designed for academically bound students with regular or provisional admission to MSU. This three-week intensive summer program helps international students prepare for academic course work at MSU.
- Fulbright English for Graduate Studies Program (EGSP): This goal of this program is to prepare new Fulbright scholars for graduate studies in the United States.
Please visit the website of the ELC, or their pages for any of the above programs, to learn more or to get involved.
The Volunteer English Tutoring Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Volunteer English Tutoring Program (VETP) provides free English conversation practice for Michigan State University's international students and scholars and their adult family members through conversation classes and conversation partners. VETP classes that provide a friendly and relaxed learning environment in which participants can try out their oral English and practice their listening skills. Classes are held at different days and times during the week and are free. They are led by volunteers who will guide conversations about American life and culture, and other subjects. International students and scholars can also be matched with a native English language speaker for one-on-one conversation one hour a week. Contact them using the email address above for more information.
Online Language Based Services Available to International MSU Students and Employees
MY SSP is a free service available to all MSU students, graduate students, international students, and international faculty and staff that offers confidential counseling services over your phone or computer 24/7/365. The service offers culturally relevant support in the language of the caller's choice. The support is immediate; all a user needs to do is to download the app onto their phone or click a link on their computer, and they can begin to talk with a professional licensed mental health provider within minutes. There are multiple options for connecting with a MY SSP counselor:
- Download the free MY SSP app on Google Play or iTunes
- Chat online at http://usmyissp.com
- Call 1-866-743-7732
- From outside North America, call 001.416.380.657
For more information about MY SSP, including links to printable brochures for your department or college, please visit https://caps.msu.edu/services/ISSP.html.